The Finnish bruiser-weight champion of melodic death metal, Hämeenlinna’s Pain Confessor was formed in 2002 and signed a three-album deal with Megamania in 2003. Having released its debut single “Poor Man’s Crown” and 1st full-length, “Turmoil”, in 2004, they quickly earned wider recognition, scoring the Newcomer of the Year Award at the Sirkkelirock Metal Weekend (predecessor of Finnish Metal Awards) in 2005 and had the album released in the G/A/S Region in August 2005.
With singles ruling the Finnish charts, Pain Confessor released album number two, “Fearrage”, in 2006. Peaking at #26 on the Finnish album charts, the album was also released in Japan in May 2006.
Album number three was preceded in release by the Finnish #1 hit single “Ne Plus Ultra.” The album, “Purgatory of the Second Sun”, would continue Pain Confessor’s steady ascent, hitting #15 on the domestic album charts in 2007. “Purgatory” was also released Europe-wide with Plastic Head’s distribution.
“Purgatory of the Second Sun” concluded the band’s contract with Megamania, and Markku Kivisto (vocals), Mikko Kivisto (bass, vocals), Tuomas Kuusinen (guitars), Vesa “Wesleyer” Säkkinen (guitars), Pasi Laihanen (keyboards), and Mikko Laihanen (drums) spent the early days of 2008 looking for the next stepping stone to further glory. But what in 2008 started as a much needed break to rejuvenate themselves, Pain Confessor’s pause would stretch into a four year hiatus, during whichnot much was heard from the Pain Confessor front apart from one demo, “Demo 2009”.
Early 2011 the band, according to their own words, were ”…Sitting at the jolly old campfire, singing the same old songs, feeling the need to kick this shit up a notch and start doing something really concrete… dealing themselves a new hand and reorganized ranks. Now with the lines intact again and an equal lead guitarist pairing that is turning out to be one hell of a metal tornado we have set out to demo 2 new songs… they’re called “Never” and “Serpent Spine” …”
Next thing you know, the Finnish watchdog for all things musically awesome, Spinefarm Records, signed Pain Confessor in early 2012. Celebrating their 10th anniversary the band now climb the first steps of a new beginning. The new label being the key that unlocks the gargantuan shackles, the band is no longer “Incarcerated” in a record label Limbo-Land. Crushing as much as caressing wherever they may roar, Pain Confessor finally unleash the beast!
The band comment on the “Incarcerated”: “We are rowing a truly grim river. The renewed lineup boasts with vigor to go through a stone wall, the material heavy as a murderer’s burden. Is it better than “Turmoil”? No, it is a completely different record and stands on its own upon fresh soil. The crew’s newest inmates bring along a whole new bag of tricks with which to drill deeper into the hidden reaches of human mind with newborn fervor.”
Pain Confessor 101:
* Pain Confessor is born August 2002
* In 2003 Pain Confessor signs a 3 record deal with Megamania
* First single Poor Man’s Crown is published in March 2004
* Debut full length Turmoil is recorded during May 2004 and is released in Finland September 8th 2004
* The band is voted Newcomer of the Year 2004 by the metal oriented public in Sirkkelirock Metal Weekend held January 7th - 8th 2005
* Turmoil is released in Germany, Switzerland and Austria August 8. 2005
* Follow-up for the debut Turmoil is recorded during September 2005 and is named Fearrage
* The single Fall on evil days is released in February 2006. Also a video of the single track is released
* Fall on evil days enters the Finnish TOP20 Single chart at #15 and climbs up to #6 during the second week
* Second album Fearrage sees the light March 1. 2006 in Finland
* Fearrage hits the Finnish TOP40 charts @ position 26 during the first week since it’s release
* Fearrage is released in Japan through Wood Bell May 10. 2006
* Writing process for third album starts in a hurry during autumn 2006
* Recording of Purgatory of the Second Sun begins 16.12.2006 @ Fantom Studio, Tampere, Finland
* Single track and video Ne Plus Ultra online January 29. 2007
* Ne Plus Ultra/Eye of the Tiger cds is released February 14. 2007
* Purgatory of the Second Sun is released March 14. 2007
* Single Ne Plus Ultra enters Finnish Single Chart @ 1st position during it’s first week
* Purgatory of the Second Sun hits the Finnish TOP40 charts @ position 15 during the first week
* Pain Confessor parts ways with Johanna Kustannus/Megamania
* Purgatory of the Second Sun distributed by Plastic Head
* Vesa “Wesleyer” Säkkinen is replaced by Tommi Kurki
* Demo 2009 with 3 new songs recorded and released online
* Tommi Kurki steps down from Pain Confessor line-up due to other commitments and is replaced by Samuli Federley
* New material is written and to be recorded during late 2010-early 2011
* A 2 track demo for promotional use is recorded, songs are Serpent Spine and Never
* Pain Confessor parts ways with long time drummer Mikko Laihanen. Enter Aki Kuusinen
* Samuli Federley is replaced by Jaakko Kunnas on the guitar
* New material for the 4th album is being written during 2011 and early 2012
* Pain Confessor signs with Spinefarm Records and begins the production of the 4th yet untitled record
* Fourth album Incarcerated is recorded during summer 2012 and released October 12th 2012.
* Incarcerated debuted on the Finnish TOP50 @ #28 and Rumba Magazine TOP20 @ #4.